March 28, 2024, 04:53:17 PM

Author Topic: More efficient chatbox replacement?  (Read 7741 times)

Offline War

• Full Moon
  • best be left to his own devices
    • View Profile
More efficient chatbox replacement?
« on: February 21, 2017, 04:42:36 PM »
Okay so,
I realise that our current chatbox on-site does get the job done, but I have a proposal that offers far more flexibility for chatters.
And the proposal is known as IRC.
Some of you may have heard of this, but for those of you who don't, IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat. Now IRC is available on many, many different networks however the one I am familiar with the most is synIRC (but we'll get to that later).

So how does it work?
In an IRC chat you can set up 'channels': these channels can be connected to by users using an IRC Client. This allows users to chat in the same channel from anywhere, provided they're on the same network (i.e synIRC)

What makes an IRC channel a better alternative is the fact that Moderators and Administrators can me appointed positions of power in the channel. This means that if anyone is spamming in the chatbox, that specific user can be kicked by a half-operator, moderator, admin, or the channel owner to prevent further spamming. Spammers and/or trolls can also be banned from the channel, though I suspect that won't be much of an issue.
(There is also 'voiced' users which allows users to speak during a channel mute, but this is less relevant.)
A chat 'topic' can also be set by channel operators, meaning that important announcements can be in plain sight for everyone to see.

An IRC client also allows for a user to see the number of members logged in to that specific channel, however this can be disabled with special channel 'modes'.

There are literally dozens of channel modes, including ones that can make the channel hidden to all users outside of this website, and modes that prevent channel message 'flooding' (or put simpler, a certain amount of messages posted by one user in a certain timeframe.)

And the real kicker is, anyone can access this channel from anywhere. There are clients for mobile and web that are independent of the embed chatbox, meaning users don't even have to be on this website to see the chatbox!

And yes, I know where I can get a lag-free and easy-to-use client embed, and I know how to set it up too! :>

EDIT: Did I mention you can also use the embedded client to live-time PM users? And you can also establish your own sub-channels for RP groups too. And for staff, you could make your own hidden, invite-only channel as well.

beats discord and skype any day //COUGHS
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:29:15 PM by War »

Offline Venadryl

• Lead 3D Modeler
  • Developer
  • Previously known as Venwolf
    • View Profile
    • My Instagram
Re: More efficient chatbox replacement?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 11:00:26 PM »
That does sound promising!
It could easily replace our discord chats too, while still being embedded into the website.

Offline Bautista

• New Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »
The reason I came in, I need some helpful info, can you help me?

Offline Alexis 1123

• Full Moon
  • discord- CodeBlue#6251 (Let me come and save u)
    • View Profile
    • Lastmoon
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 02:19:19 AM »
We will help u and welcome to lastmoon.

Offline Gray

• Full Moon
  • I'm officially gone from last moon, i love you all
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »
Bautista, what do you need help with?
Bye bye loves....

Offline PaperCut

• December MoTM 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 09:13:04 PM »
The reason I came in, I need some helpful info, can you help me?
You can make a thread in the help section of the forums so more people can answer you easier.

If you need in-game assistance, contact an administrator!