March 28, 2024, 10:35:06 PM

Author Topic: Favourite Stories  (Read 3085 times)

Offline War

• Full Moon
  • best be left to his own devices
    • View Profile
Favourite Stories
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:01:07 PM »
Not really a minigame, more of a discussion

Well I have a lot of favourite books being an avid reader myself, but I have my few that really stick with me. These would be:

.:Gobbolino, the witch's cat:.
First published in 1942 by Ursula Moray Williams

I own a copy of this myself and it is one of my most prized books and I would most certainly consider it a classical story

Now I couldn'd find a copy of the book with the same cover as I had as my copy is pretty old, but here's a pic of one anyway

.:The Secret Country:.
Published in January, 2006 by Jane Johnson
Also goes by the title 'The Eidolon Chronicles'

Not exactly a classical story but I found the plot and characters heartwarming and is generally a favourate book of mine, which I am currently reading for the 4th time!
The cover on my version looks exactly like this:

So now comes the discussion part of this. Have you ever read these books and did you enjoy them? Do you have any personal favourites that have their own place in your heart?

Offline Löwin

• Half Moon
  • "Go light some damn candles!"
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Stories
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 02:16:19 AM »
It's rare that a book sticks with me, but there's one in particular that just came to mind.

I first read The Outsiders in seventh grade, but even now, as a college freshman, this is one of my absolute favorites.  It helped me through my toughest times--I found that I could relate to the narrator frighteningly well--and now serves as my primary source of writing inspiration.  Sentimentality aside, there's also just something about the style and concept that enthralls me....I think it's partly the fact that I wasn't expecting to read something gang-related in middle school, but I can't place it exactly.  Bottom line:  I could go on for DAYS about this story for a variety of reasons, so I'll stop here. xD

There's another, but I'm fairly sure everyone's at least heard of A Song of Ice and Fire....If not, then where have you been!?

me | them
literature

In-game Username
Lowin

Offline Zaroque

• DoE Administrator
  • Legendary Moon
    • View Profile
    • dA
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 12:32:27 PM »
as war knows i'm a sucker for charles dickens

• Our Mutual Friend is possibly my favourite book. I cannot begin to describe how much I adore Charles Dickens's writing style. I'm continuously in awe of his skill, especially how he balances his characters, and his ability to go so far into human beings without effort and, without it being a bore. Most of the time I just sit there, nodding to every single observation and saying: "that is so true" and yes, I did cry.
    • North and South is also one of my favourites. Elizabeth Gaskell is the Northern version of Charles Dickens, she often wrote short stories and social novels. North and South focuses on the brutality of the Industrial Revolution in Manchester. Her characters vary from the desperately poor to higher society, and the differences between the South (privileged classes to agricultural workers) and the industrious North (manufacturers and the poor) of England. I can thank Gaskell for a lot - shes kept me entertained in the bleakest circumstances and has also gotten me thoroughly interested in the history of Northern England.
    • Liar & Spy is actually a recent book, unlike most of my library. Personally, I found it really refreshing to read such a laid-back and humorous children's book about Bohemian parents and their offspring. I really recommend this one.
    • Mary Barton is another Gaskell novel, also based in Manchester! This time, she focuses on a young working woman and her struggles, which include poverty and murder, which makes a really meaty read.
    • Little Dorrit, oh damn where to start. The characters for this are just incredible, and I love the concept of all of it. Dickens also put a little bit of his life in this book too: his father was a prisoner in a debtors prison where this story is based at, the Marshalsea, when he was 12. Dickens was forced to leave school and had to work 10 hour shifts at a shoe-blacking factory - all of this part of his life was put into Little Dorrit. Even though a lot of it might seem bleak, Dickens never loses his touch of humour with his descriptions and rants about politics and money, "Mr Flintwinch has a mild attack of irritability".
    • Dombey and Son was the first Dickens novel I read, but its still all with me. I think I even cried during this one..
    • Journey to the River Sea was a book I had to read for school. Well, when I say had to, I mean I read for school and enjoyed every bloodyminUTE OFO ITT. o god this book though, i dont know how many times i've read it and read it again. Eva Ibbotson had a huge influence over my life at my first year of highschool. A previous Guardian panel winner wrote: "we all fell on Eva Ibbotson's perfectly judged, brilliantly light to read, civilised Journey To The River Sea, in which we are shown how, as one of the characters reminds us, 'Children must lead big lives... if it is in them to do so.' Oh, please let her write another book as fine as this, because, in any other year, we would have handed her the prize without a thought."
    • The Horse and His Boy by C.S Lewis. This is the ultimate Narnia novel, please read I could go on forever about this. Look, even the title is great.
~ R E T I R E D ~

FA || art 

"I didn't let my schooling get in the way of my education"
- Mark Twain

Offline Aɴᴄᴀ

• Half Moon
  • I'm here for the food.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »
ayeyeye books some are in German tho //sob

Warrior Cats
These to be honest are my favourite books. I really love how Erin Hunter made cats do something interesting, since almost no book makes cats do anything other than speaking. Another cool thing I find at them is that she doesn't always stick to one character, but the whole characters at once. Yes, there are few main characters, but I really like how if someone died (including main characters) she's just like "Go with the flow" and continues the story. Its like a never ending adventure.
Heard about this book or not, I still recommend it.

Sternenschweif
Or Startail in English.
If you can speak German and like horses/unicorns, then you should really try this book. It may seem for 10 years old, but I still find it awesome. What I like at it is that the author didn't make the unicorns overpowered sparkle dogs. There's over 10 books I believe.
So yeah, whenever you feel like reading few horse ad unicorn adventures, try this one.

Star Wars
Yesyesyes I know most of us know the story so I don't really know what to say about it lol.