April 19, 2024, 01:34:31 AM

Author Topic: TV/Book Character Tropes  (Read 7011 times)

Offline FaintSilhouette

• March 2014 MoTM
  • Full Moon
  • Thank you Husky275 for the drawing of May! ^_^
    • View Profile
TV/Book Character Tropes
« on: January 19, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »
Someone suggested a thread be made for this. Let's face it, no character is 100% original. Even if it means digging into some obscure old story from the early 1900's, it is possible to find pieces of the same or similar ideas that someone has in their character. Just about everything has been thought about at least once before. Before anyone preaches their originality, I've met plenty of people on games like who claim to have an idea that's "never been done before" and I've seen it. Even if its not as frequently seen, it has still been done before.

That said, what TV/Book character tropes do your original characters fall into? Are they similar to anyone in present-day literature/on TV?

Lanetic, Rune, and Tiberius drawn by Bazookaneon

Offline War

• Full Moon
  • best be left to his own devices
    • View Profile
Re: TV/Book Character Tropes
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 07:55:50 PM »
Holyshit my list could be quite extensive but I'll keep it brief for sanity's sake x'D

WarFang: Personality somewhat based off of 'Merida' from 'Brave'. Yeah. . .

Gizmo: It's hard to pinpoint one particular feat he has in common with another character, but if I had to choose, it'd be Aikuro Mikisugi from Kill la Kill, mainly because he just seems to me like a bit of a pervert x'D

Daxus: Mad hatter. Absolutely positively bloody loony.

Beast & Jackal, the Werewolf brothers: Beast is has an attitude similar to Ed Elric I find at times, long before shifts of course, as for Jackal...not as far as the mad hatter but somewhere along the lines, he ain't wired right

Offline Haruki

• Your friendly neighborhood mofo
  • Full Moon
  • Don't be such a haur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:26:59 AM »
I WAS JUST ABOUT TO MAKE THIS THREAD OMG SILH I LOVE YOU.
Ahem.

This actually got me thinking and I went and googled character tropes to see a full list of them. What I found was basically every character ever.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArchetypalCharacter

Kaynen: Poor vision, but can see things beyond what most others can. As a soulseer, she's able to manipulate her soul and the souls of others, usually for good. Kaynen tends to remain neutral and untangled in emotional complexities of plots. She's the Blind Seer, Enigmatic Empowering Entity, and The Higher Self.

Champagne: Intense, passionate personality. Feels a need to dominate, by whatever means possible... even if it involves using sexuality as a weapon. She leads a small army in a battle for what she believes as good. She has elements of The Lady In Red, The Good Bad Girl, Femme Fatale The Rebel Leader, The Ladette, and The Hard Drinking Party Girl.

Torrid: Playful, mischievous, generally tends to bend and break rules just because he can. Openly flirtatious, friends with everyone but never actually pledges allegiance to any group. Always seems to have a lot of money, but is generous and just as willing to give it all away. Torrid has overthrown the head of the Mafia in Missionpoint, Mada, and secretly assumes his title. He's a shapeshifter who is nearly impossible to make angry, but when he does, he loses control and becomes a nonsentient monster. He's got tropes galore: The Rebellious Spirit, The Gentle Giant, The Lovable Rogue, Just Like Robin Hood, Chaotic Good, The Mock Millionaire, The Drunken Sailor, The Reluctant Monster, The Shapeshifter, The Trickster, Boisterous Bruiser, and almost but getting there, The Anti-Hero.

Shelter: A former priestess with a golden heart, a loving soul, and the desire to bring as much happiness as she could to others. She was sacrificed to an evil entity for selfish gains. She has bits and pieces of The Messianic Archetype, The Idealist, and The Damsel in Distress.

Lasciv: An older gentleman, father of Champagne, with a huge voice and an even bigger heart. He's always telling stories, giving advice, or just generally loving others. He might be old, but he still stirs up trouble every now and then, and can hold his own in a fight. He has the ability to control and spread diseases through his blood. He's: The Mentor Archetype, more specifically Eccentric Mentor, The Storyteller, Father Neptune, and The Shell Shocked Senior.

.... yeah, I'm not even gonna try and pretend that I'm creative.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:45:17 AM by Haruki »

Offline Bazookaneon

• Full Moon
  • BAZOOKA!!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:57:02 AM by Bazookaneon »
B A Z O O K A ! !

Offline FaintSilhouette

• March 2014 MoTM
  • Full Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 01:34:50 AM »

May:
Noble Wolf
Mama Bear
Barrier Maiden

Hero:
Kitsune
Fantastic Foxes
Anti-Hero
Super Soldier
Morality Pet
Violently Protective Girlfriend

Lanetic:
Noble Wolf
Weaponized Animal
The Sacred Darkness

I was determined to get at least three for each, went out of order and got more for Hero than anyone else but I KNOW May has TONS more she falls into. I'm done here.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:48:08 AM by FaintSilhouette »

Offline Husky

• Cobcat
  • Remember your constants
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 02:10:49 AM »
Aria:
Werewolf
Clumsy
Shapeshifter
Bookworm

Scout:
Foul-Mouthed
Protective Sister
Duo

Ohlawdy there's alot on that website. I'll see if I can find more.

Offline Haruki

• Your friendly neighborhood mofo
  • Full Moon
  • Don't be such a haur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »
Morality Pet

OH MY GOD.
WE MADE A TWO PERSON TROPE WITHOUT REALIZING IT.

So many things I didn't even realize were things, you guys.

I'm just gonna leave this here.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SingleTear
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:13:07 PM by Haruki »

Offline FaintSilhouette

• March 2014 MoTM
  • Full Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 08:56:40 PM »
Morality Pet

OH MY GOD.
WE MADE A TWO PERSON TROPE WITHOUT REALIZING IT.

So many things I didn't even realize were things, you guys.

I'm just gonna leave this here.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SingleTear

Yep we did and LOL!