March 29, 2024, 10:18:41 AM

Author Topic: Your job, study or future plans?  (Read 5439 times)

Offline RakshaWw

• Head Admin
    • View Profile
Your job, study or future plans?
« on: August 16, 2014, 07:30:51 AM »
As some of you may know, I haven't been very active here because of my work and study.

I'm currently studying Companion Animal Services cert III at university and working as a Vet Nurse Assistant at a vet, an Animal Attendant at the local animal shelter and I'm a Foster Carer & Volunteer for a dog/cat rescue organisation. That is a lot of work, especially since just half a year ago all I used to do is sit on my butt and play games.

I see a lot of injured animals, I assist with a lot of surgeries(including desexing, dentistry and tumor removal) and once I even had to witness a perfectly healthy animal be put to sleep. But sometimes I get reminded why I do what I do... I'll list a few of my stories.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppies
Spoiler for Hiden:

This is a very bad image, but there's a few 7 week old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppies in this photo that were sleeping off their anesthetic after I assisted with their desexing surgeries.

They were so little and even though we highly recommended to the owner that they shouldn't be desexed until at least 8 weeks old, the breeder/owner still insisted on them being done at 7 weeks since they were meant to be flown off to their new homes in a week.

All of the surgeries went well and they're all okay though :)

Bengal cat
Spoiler for Hiden:

This cat was in for desexing too, which I missed, but afterwards it was my job to microchip him and do an examination to make sure there was no obvious health issues such as infected ears, red eyes, teeth problems, etc.

He was a beautiful cat, both looks and personality wise.

Cat adoptions
Spoiler for Hiden:

My class had to make some cat toys and donate them to the shelter.
While we did that, we all had to do a health check on all the cats and play with them for a bit since being stuck in a small cage waiting for your forever home can get a bit boring sometimes...

Labrador x Golden Retriever puppies
Spoiler for Hiden:

These 10 week old puppies were surrendered to the shelter by their owner who claimed to have been unsuccessful in finding them homes even with their price being as low as $50... Yeahokay.

They came in very skinny and dirty. I took them all for a bath, blow dry, nail clip(which was very hard with 4 crazy puppies trying to play with you all at once!) and then I de-flead and de-wormed them.

I took them for a play outside and then gave them some food.
The puppies were all very aggressive around food and by the look of their body condition(very skinny), I don't blame them.

They're now in quarantine and after 8 days of intensive care they'll be available for adoption!

I have heaps more but these are the only ones I've taken photos of so far haha.

How about everyone else? Have you got a job that you love or any plans on what you want to do as a career?

Offline FerretFoo

• The One You All Love
  • Half Moon
  • lawlz TurcoClurn bestest wow, jurn naow!
    • View Profile
Re: Your job, study or future plans?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:42:20 AM »
Oh wow Rak that's intense o.o you make it girl, you make it good! :P

Me I am not in the job I'd like to be but it is something, my future plans are to go into computer science. I want to be able to code
and perhaps be somewhere working on the next big game or technology to hit the market.

Offline Zaroque

• DoE Administrator
  • Legendary Moon
    • View Profile
    • dA
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 04:16:27 PM »
thats my girl<3 you're gonna do great with all this experience

next year i'll be looking at some art colleges and hopefully study illustration or game design, either one. experience from other people tells me illustration is not easy to pay the bills with, but we'll see how it goes.

@Ferret - sounds awesome!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 12:57:22 PM by Zaroque »
~ R E T I R E D ~

FA || art 

"I didn't let my schooling get in the way of my education"
- Mark Twain

Offline War

• Full Moon
  • best be left to his own devices
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 04:30:13 PM »
For as long as I can remember I have always wanted to go into Vetenary studies
Now I can only achive such by going to Uni in England. e.e
I've wanted to do computer engineering and coding, along with graphics design (like my uncle, with one HELL of a business) and even go into game programming and design too.
Music was another one, to carry on my piano lessons

I remember when I was younger I rescued a wild bird.
We nursed it back to health and it flew away and as far as I know, lived a long life.

Offline ThatOneNerd

• Quarter Moon
  • The waffles are coming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 06:33:21 PM »
Game designing was always there, but for the moment being, that one seem almost unachievable. Classes for a computer design class is completely full as far as I know. And its mostly bussiness, and website design. I was thinking more 3d developer,  textures creator, etc....

(Quote from Naruto Shippuden)

Offline Dutchval

• June & August 2014 MotM
  • That girl who is always has too much on her plate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 09:37:05 PM »
Dayum gurrrllls and Bois,
Well Dutch was always a handy person
She was very good with computers too
She took programming, computer, and Webpage design classes
But Dutch liked doing something a bit harder and more complex (because why not)
Dutch liked to make robots
So making robots and not eating lunch for a month and a few weeks dutch did do to create her baby for her up coming competition:
abnormally large images, sorry xD
Spoiler for Hiden:

But in all seriousness, I used to be president of a Club called TSA, or Technology Student Association.
Every year there was a TSA conference where you choose events to work on before hand in order to compete against other schools.
So I did this for 3 years, once Archetetural Design, once Structural Engineering, and for my last year, VEX Robotics.
It was so much hard work but it was so worth it :D
So if any of y'all are still in Middle School or High School, you should really look for a TSA club near you, if you are going in the technical direction.

Avatar done by Sinprince! Signature done by UltimateCreations!

Offline jengatower

• Quarter Moon
  • plug it in and change the world~
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 12:55:05 AM »
I have many thoughts of what I should study when I'm in college. I'm thinking of animal biology/zoology, computer animation, or computer science. I'm taking animation classes this year at school so that may give me a head start.

call be jenga
in-game name is jengatower

Offline Husky

• Cobcat
  • Remember your constants
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 01:32:23 AM »
Gosh when it comes to this, I'm the worst.
Can never decide what I want to pursue exactly, and it always seems to change over time.
I'd love to head into the animal field as a vet tech or even a zoologist/biologist as well, or perhaps in the technology field. I've always fantasized about working with large companies like Dreamworks or Disney and shitlikethat but ya know, reality sucks lol. I wouldnt mind being a professional concept artist if I continue on the path of digital artwork, or even dabble around with modelling and animating as a career. Again, probably unrealistic, but a game designer has crossed my mind multiple times before as well.

Offline Abomine

• September 2014 MoTM
  • Full Moon
  • Just your friendly neighborhood deer-goblin. :)
    • View Profile
    • deviantART
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 04:36:05 AM »
You've chosen a noble calling, and you're making a positive difference in your community. You go, girl. *thumbs up*

I work in a school for adults with special needs, and it's easily the most wonderful job I've ever had. I'm typically not much of a 'people person', but for some reason, I just feel so happy going to work, interacting with and helping these men and women.

As for my eventual career, I'm hoping to work as an editor in a publishing house. I honestly have no idea where to start, but reading stories and giving feedback to authors is something that I would love to do with my life.

The hills are aliiiiiiive with the sound of uzis...

Offline Weissman

• Quarter Moon
  • Mmmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 08:57:37 AM »
I've been wanting to get a job recently whether its volunteering or one that pays because I have too much time, but my parents are making me hold off a little longer for reasons unknown to me. As for future career plans, I only have this year and next year of high school left and I feel everything coming at me all at once.  I used to be so sure but now I just don't know. I wanted to be a writer/editor and then there was a thought of being a paralegal (there's an internship in my area that I'm considering) but I just don't know. Hopefully I'll get it figured out someday.

Offline Dubstep

• Quarter Moon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 05:28:42 PM »
I'll probably be doing paleontology and or archaeology or join the music career  :-\
petsbud
--------
dubstep

Offline Cocobeanz

• Quarter Moon
  • Idk. Lol.
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 05:06:31 PM »
Hm,This is rather late reply but don't eat me.

Currently, I am in a vocational High-School learning Computer tech and repair. However, I am not choosing this as my profession. More like, to aid me if my computer breaks down. My true study is in animation as of now, but in the near future I will take a Game Creating course that is recommended by many Large game company's such as Nintendo. My future hope for a job would be getting into Nintendo, to be specific, the pokemon section. If not, they're many opportunity's around for the skill.

-Insert LeekSpin song here-