April 27, 2024, 08:36:02 PM

Author Topic: DO YOU WANNA LEARN HOW TO DRAW? THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR YOU!  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Luminescent

• Half Moon
  • yeet
    • View Profile
DO YOU WANNA LEARN HOW TO DRAW? THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR YOU!
« on: May 21, 2016, 10:02:34 PM »
Hey you! Do you wanna learn how to draw like a pro? WELL YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT WOLF THING, ANIMAL, CREATURE, YES.

PRO TIPS TO BEING A GREAT ARTIST

1. Do not make lines in 1 stroke of a pencil, SKETCH GOSH DARNIT!
If you sketch, and make light but small marks with a pencil, while trying to draw a circle or something, it will work better. If you make bold, dark, lines with 1 go, it won't turn out how you hope it would. Build upon every stroke.

2. Do not press so dang hard onto the paper! YOU ARE KILLING YOUR ARTWORK!
So, if you press very hard onto the paper, and make bold and dark sketches, and WHOOPS YOU MADE A MISTAKE. Because you pressed so hard onto the paper, it's gonna be as equally as hard to erase it. And it's gonna leave an ugly indent in your paper. You're welcome. c:

3. DON'T BE AFRAID TO USE PICTURE REFERENCES WHEN DRAWING SOMETHING!

I know most people like my friends ask me if I actually drew that from a picture in my mind, and I say "No, I looked at a picture," they accuse me of not actually knowing how to draw it. BUT DO THEY KNOW BETTER? NOPE. I'D LIKE TO SEE PEOPLE TRY TO DRAW A COMPLICATED PIECE OF DAMN ARTWORK. Don't be afraid to use pictures from Google to help you draw something. That's how many famous artists, such as Leonardo Da Vinci did it, he looked at various objects, like a woman's face to draw the great Mona Lisa! Trust me.

4. ALWAYS. SHARPEN. YOUR. DRAWING. UTENSILS.
I cannot stress this enough. If your pencil or colored pencil isn't sharpened, your sketches will look flat and way too light. If you don't have a sharpener, go to Walmart or any local store and buy one. YOU CAN AFFORD A FRICKIN' SHARPENER.

5. Try shading! Your artwork will look even awesome-r!
Now, shading is sometimes hard. You are outlining the shadows of the object or thing you are drawing, but it's okay. What I do to shade, is I look at a picture of a dog, (if I'm drawing a dog) and I study the dog's parts of where shadows are being reflected. I then sketch in that part, like I would sketch the neck, and I would take my eraser, and slowly start to smudge the pencil marks in that area, but only VERY lightly.Shading makes your artwork more realistic, and even more like a pro. It won't hurt to try, practice makes perfect! If you don't understand what I'm trying to explain, here's a video> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqGkHWC5IU

6. If you're spending 3+ hours on a drawing, DON'T BE FRUSTRATED!
I know I get super frustrated when I try to draw something complicated, but It's taking way too long, cause I always erase and add in new details. Well, if you become frustrated, you'll start to rush to finish it, and it will turn out as crap. BELIEVE ME, it sucks. Art is not something to be rushed, or pushed. It takes time and thought. If you are calm while drawing, your artwork will turn out better. Your artwork DOES reflect yourself.

I hope this helps. Please send me some beautiful artwork of your's if this DID help. Sorry if my explanations are confusing. THAANKS!

Cheers!

-Luminescent

Offline Dutchval

• June & August 2014 MotM
  • That girl who is always has too much on her plate
    • View Profile
Re: DO YOU WANNA LEARN HOW TO DRAW? THIS TUTORIAL IS FOR YOU!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 07:52:10 AM »

*attempts to sharpen wacom tablet*
oh wait you mean traditional drawings
oh

jokes aside,

gr8 tutorial m8

Avatar done by Sinprince! Signature done by UltimateCreations!

Offline Luminescent

• Half Moon
  • yeet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 08:57:09 PM »
Yis tutorial is da bomb. x) But yis don't try to sharpen your tablet.

Offline CanineCat

• Full Moon
  • freddie is a god
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 11:10:29 PM »

*attempts to sharpen wacom tablet*
oh wait you mean traditional drawings
oh

jokes aside,

gr8 tutorial m8

IM DYING OL MY DUTCH! Just wow. And great tutorial Lumi
woah im back wtf

Offline SinPrince

• Full Moon
  • "ur weak bc you eject yourself from drama!!!1"
    • View Profile
    • New Art. Better site.
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 11:11:03 PM »
On a side note, I do have very very helpful color tips you may want to know!
And I use mechanical pencils due to their thin lines, and I always draw lightly so I avoid anything dark ahehe
i'm probably not coming back
:3c
bc ppl can b sore babies

Offline Luminescent

• Half Moon
  • yeet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 12:05:14 AM »
Omi gosh, I thought this tutorial wouldn't even be seen, thanks for the jokes + support! And I would also love to see them coloring tips. ^^

Offline Tortuga

• June 2016 MotM
  • Full Moon
  • Weeeeeeeeee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 08:27:06 AM »
Awesome tutorial, Lumi!

I know I get super frustrated when I try to draw something complicated, but It's taking way too long, cause I always erase and add in new details. Well, if you become frustrated, you'll start to rush to finish it, and it will turn out as crap. BELIEVE ME, it sucks. Art is not something to be rushed, or pushed. It takes time and thought. If you are calm while drawing, your artwork will turn out better. Your artwork DOES reflect yourself.

This so much. I made the mistake that I barely spent any time on my drawings, no matter what they were. I wanted to make good pieces but fast. Of course, it didn't end up well. Once I started to spend days on a drawing, I could find more errors, more details to add, I could spend more time on shading, lights, colors and markings... my drawings started to have better quality.

Still not the 'awesome' kind but at least they were better. Always spend as much time as possible on your drawings. Always.

Signature done by Ulti!

Offline Luminescent

• Half Moon
  • yeet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 02:51:01 PM »
Awesome tutorial, Lumi!

This so much. I made the mistake that I barely spent any time on my drawings, no matter what they were. I wanted to make good pieces but fast. Of course, it didn't end up well. Once I started to spend days on a drawing, I could find more errors, more details to add, I could spend more time on shading, lights, colors and markings... my drawings started to have better quality.

Still not the 'awesome' kind but at least they were better. Always spend as much time as possible on your drawings. Always.

I told ya'll, if you don't take time it won't turn out as good for the final product. I'm soooo super glad that you like the tutorial and that it helped even a little.  ;D

Offline SinPrince

• Full Moon
    • View Profile
    • New Art. Better site.
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 03:00:47 PM »
Some colorin' tips for all of ya'll!

Shading or Highlighting!

Well, you know your normal shading style gets stuck with black, grey, and white. But that's NOT how you make colors pop! Instead of using those grayscale colors, using other versions (darker or lighter) of the neighboring colors will allow better lighting effects and better depth.
So, say you've drawn a plain blue ball, for instance.

Instead of shading with a darker hue of that same blue, and adding highlights with a lighter hue, take the SURROUNDING colors instead, or even mix them up! Meaning, make the shading greener and the lighting yellow!

Or make the shading a dark purple and the lighting a bright teal it pops much easier this way! This basic tip will literally help you with blending characters with backgrounds, and you should also know to envision your light source, and what color light!

On a side note; you can also always try psychedelic. Psychedelic is when you make trippy artwork using ONLY neon versions of a color. Even for shading and lighting, although you don't really swap the color's dark/light hues, separate them via warm and cool. A softer version is using neon pastels instead, or a mix of both.

How do neutral tones work, and what can they go with?
Alright! Since we obviously know what goes with our normal saturated colors, let's talk neutral tone and brighter colors.
*Like I was talking with browns and oranges/blues, take stock of where your neutral tone is on the wheel!
It can and will lead to a world of possibilities for an eye candy of a character. Not only that, careful with overdosing on those colors and markings, because it can very well be annoying to the eye. A decent amount is often just enough to make a lovable combination to just ooze over!

You can also push some neutral tones of brown to neutral tones of green (olive) and blue (silvery grey). Neutral tones, dimmed with grey, can always work just as any other color, being with analogous schemes or complimentary. You can try other methods, triad and hexad as a website I use describes them. You can PM for a link to the site if you want to check it out!

*What this meant, because it's taken from a skype conversation a little bit was missed, was a small little fact I brought up with a friend. If you have a brown character and you add orange or blue hues to it, the colors will fit. Brown is essentially either a dark orange or neutral orange tone. Orange's complementary color, cerulean/blue/royal blue, will still work with its neutral or darkened version still. Same goes for almost any neon and neutral toned colors, as long as you take stock of the colors surrounding it (analogous) and its complementary, you can basically rock an entire piece of work.
bc ppl can b sore babies

Offline Aetherna

• July 2016 MoTM
  • Full Moon
  • ~The original potato queen~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 04:23:19 PM »
Great tutorial, bro! Also, thanks to Sin for the coloring tips.

Offline Luminescent

• Half Moon
  • yeet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 06:01:04 PM »
Thank you thank you, and also thanks a ton to Sin for the tips.

Send me some drawings that you did with the help of these tips! :P

Offline SinPrince

• Full Moon
    • View Profile
    • New Art. Better site.
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 08:18:31 PM »
Thank you thank you, and also thanks a ton to Sin for the tips.

Send me some drawings that you did with the help of these tips! :P

Hey, no problemo!! I love teaching art skills to others.
bc ppl can b sore babies

Offline melissatiger1

• Quarter Moon
  • Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 06:56:16 AM »
This really helped me, but I can't stop rushing through my work, I like short arts.
life is life -me